Thursday 19 July 2012

Mandela day 2012: A child touched my Spirit

It’s those beautiful wide smiles, the innocent genuine gestures that will make me go back. They seemed not to care who we were but they just saw visitors who were happy to be with them, they didn’t care about our Job positions, our powers at work or our social status nor even interested in the motive of our visit. They just saw caring individuals with lots of love. Even if any of us had a different motive or was forced to be there, I believe for a moment that vanished but instead enjoyed every moment.

You got to love their vibrant unique personalities; they make one realize how different we all are. As I kneeled down to draw with some of them, they got so comfortable with me so quickly that it reminded me how hard it can be sometimes to just introduce yourself to a stranger, but they did it with such  ease. I drew some pictures of cars, houses and flowers on piece of paper and instructed them to colour the pictures inside, others understood immediately other took time to digest my instructions, it made me appreciate the work of crèche teachers. The other boy was so small than the others in one table but his intellect was amazing, he was like the mature one amongst them, when one child was having problem answering a question, he would jump in and say ‘his name is kgothatso’, so we would move on with our conversation. He seemed so calm and quite, and he was the first one to finish my assignment successfully. A cliché rang in my mind; don’t judge a book by its cover. I moved to the next table the was one boy who had an interesting personality, he was the loud one in the group, sure of himself even checking if others were doing the correct thing while falling behind with his own colouring and the was this little mistress who looked so tidy, the first question she asked me was when are we going to eat, and I said only when you have finished the colouring and a few minutes later I was hearing, ‘I’m done, I’m done’. Luckily for me it was already lunchtime by then or I would have been a dead man. I would fill many pages just explaining my wonderful experience with the little ones. These kids had tolerance, they understood each other’s short comings, and they were happy. Personally I didn’t see anything wrong with them, what was wrong was the environment they were in, but it gave me peace to see the joy in their eyes. I believe they don’t even think of themselves as poor, which too eased my mind.

 My colleagues went about saying how poor the people of the area were, asking themselves why does people living in such poverty having so many kids and making jokes about how the only source of fun for them was sex. It saddened me to hear people judging others, and making their own conclusions about people’s lives. I believe if it was a choice nobody could have chosen to be poor and nobody could have wished for his kids to live in poverty stricken environment. But I believe every mother love her kids and would go out of her way every day and make plans to see to it that her child doesn’t go to bed with an empty stomach. I believe every parent would like to see her little angel prosper and successful one day.

Where do we get the nerve to judge the poor? If we could just take a few step back into the past will see how our grandparents struggled so we can be where we are today, especially us black people. If my grandmother didn’t wake up every day at four o’clock in the morning to catch a bus to Lichtenburg to work in a kitchen of some white women, I wouldn’t have graduated from university today. She swallowed her pride and made sure her last born, who was fortunate to be born in an era that allowed a black person better education, to concentrate on her studies and not worry herself about where will the next plate of food come from. I would just imagine what the gods; people who judge, of those days said about my family. But because of a parent’s love, my mother got her nursing degree and she’s now a successful career woman. Oh and thank to the powers above my grandmother lives to see the success stories of her family.

Now same thing about the parents at Rooigrond, we know nothing about where they come from. We shouldn’t even begin to neither assume nor judge. But rather remain hopeful that God will answer their prayers and do what we can to help, especially those innocent souls.

I will surely go back one day and help where I can if a Good Samaritan won’t overtake me. I would help plant the lawn, install playing equipment such as swings, etc. Make everything possible to make the crèche a pleasant place for my little brothers and sisters.  Oh God help me that I can afford to do greater things for those inspiring souls ,not just at Rooigrond but everywhere I come across a child in need.

I hope that this is not my aspiration alone but that This Generation will just be as eager and inspired to help the less fortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment